As a tester you’ll often need to generate test data. A lot can be achieved with Microsoft Excel or Open/LibreOffice Calc or any other spreadsheet. However there are tools specialized in generating test data.
There are also several smaller, free tools that you can use!
- GenerateData: open source data generator with lots of possible fields, even country specific ones. Very useful.
- Fake Name Generator:generates a single identify for online use. Especially useful for online social networks. Disadvantage is that it can’t generate a whole CVS files with hundreds or thousands of records.
- Mockaroo: seems simple, but it also allows regular expressions, so almost everything is possible.
- Credit card numbers: has a list of fake credit card numbers conform to the MOD10 algorithm.
- Identity generator: allows to generate various types of files with fake data, specific data fields for UK, US, Canada and the Netherlands are available.
- TextMechanic: not so much test data generation, as a set of tools to manipulate text online.
- Random: list of free and paid online tools to generate data, but also pick random data (times, dates, passwords, geographical data, …)
- TypeIt: if you need to test internationalization of your application. Generates/displays all characters in lots of character sets.
- BabelCode: slideshow of all possible unicode characters. Needs more than 3 hours to display each character it knows!
In my opinion these are indispensable tools for any serious tester. Add them to your bookmarks and start using them.